Thursday 23 October 2014

Bedford. It gained a place in my heart!

Ugh...Hello Mission Field?! 

It soon became apparent that my visa was not going to arrive on time, no matter how much I wanted it to, and so plans become unsettled once again. Was I still going to the Provo MTC? Or would I be able to go to Preston while I waited for my visa? Or I could end up serving while waiting for it to come? It was a highly stressful time, plans kept switching and there was no certainty with any of them. 

My start date soon crept up, still no visa! I was trying to remain calm knowing that, as always, it was in Heavenly Father's hands but I still felt somewhat disappointed, discouraged even. It finally arrived on November the 11th, 6 days too late for my MTC place, and apparently it was now booked up and full until the 17th of December. My heart sank. Such a long wait! I just wanted to start my mission, was it really too much to ask? 

Another plan soon came to light. I would 'visa-wait' in England, London North mission until the 17th of December when the MTC would be able to take me. My desire was granted. I would no longer have to wait however, I would be going straight into the mission field. That simply terrified me! 

The next few days were a blur. Race to the shops to buy a few warmer clothes, organizing when we would get over to England, when and where my setting apart would be! Next thing I knew I was sitting in my mission president's office, a fully set apart missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints about to be assigned my area and meet my trainer...That moment of anticipation and excitement! Was this real? Surely not. I'll wake up in a minute. My trainer walked in, Sister Wen from Liverpool, a fellow English missionary. We were going to be 'shotgunned' into Bedford. 


It was a pretty cold night! Brrrr!!

Yep...My first badge in the mission!


Bedford.

It was here in Bedford that I truly gained a testimony of one of the quotes in Preach My Gospel. We recited it every morning as part of our recitations before starting our companionship study. It took a couple of days to remember it at first, but it is one I have never forgotten, and hopefully never will. 

"I have often said that one of the greatest secrets of missionary work is work! If a missionary works, he will get the Spirit; if he gets the Spirit, he will teach by the Spirit; and if he teaches by the Spirit, he will touch the hearts of the people and he will be happy. There will be no homesickness, no worrying about families, for all time and talents and interests are centered on the work of the ministry.  Work, work, work—there is no satisfactory substitute, especially in missionary work"

Sister Wen and I worked hard. We soon picked up the area, going through the ward list, visiting less actives and members to see what we could do to help them at that time. I have fond memories of visiting their homes, getting to know them and their concerns and reflecting on what we could do next time to help them progress in the gospel. I also learnt that if we are not working out of love for the people, we are not doing it for the right reasons. If we are simply going through the motions, teaching the lessons rather then caring about their needs, their desires, truly knowing them and understanding them then we cannot help them as our Heavenly Father would have us help them. 

President Monson said in the April General Conference in his talk. Love - the essence of the gospel. There could never be a truer statement. Beyond comprehension is the love of God for us. Because of this love, He sent His son, who loved us enough to give His life for us, that we might have eternal life. As we come to understand this incomparable gift, our hearts will be filled with love for our Eternal Father, for our Saviour, and for all mankind. This talk is one that often pops into my mind as I think of the gospel as there is such truth and comfort found within. There really would be no point to anything without love. Without love, I imagine only Lucifer's plan of force, without knowing true happiness in this life. Love truly is everything. 

I'm a little lost for words in attempting to describe why I loved Bedford so much. It just felt right being there. We didn't really have any solid investigators, pretty much all of our appointments fell through and we were both learning the area. It was hard. Yet so rewarding. There is no better way to explain it then this quote.
A person cannot give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf in return 
I love this quote, at yet at the same time, I find it frustrating. I want to be able to give something back to the Lord, yet no matter how much I work and try to serve him, he's just going to bless me for it even more, and then I would have more to give back. It's just a never ending cycle. We are never ever going to be able to repay Him for what He has done. It's just something I need to accept, and continue to strive to do my best anyway.

I realize I have not written so much about my time in Bedford here, but rather the things which I learnt. that I was able to learn in my time there. There is so much that I would want to include, so many wonderful experiences that I would be writing forever. So I thought I would leave it here for tonight. We can never be too kind to our fellow men.


"I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody’s need made me blind;
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind"

No comments:

Post a Comment