Friday 7 November 2014

MTC...

Ok, so I've been pretty slack at this. Life just gets in the way. Not that I've been too busy, just occupied in other ways. I have some time on my hands right now though, considering I tried sleeping and my mind doesn't want to rest!
Sister Bane and I on our first night
together in the MTC

The day after I arrived at the MTC we were assigned companions, our district and zone. We were given our companions name and then led to our classroom to wait for everyone else to arrive. Thankfully my companion was the only other person in the room so was pretty easy to find her. The other sisters in our district were Sister Garrett And Sister Robertson, both going to the Brisbane, Australia mission. 



Sister Garrett, Sister Robertson,
Sister Bane and I outside
Provo Temple!

A few days after we arrived we joined the MTC choir, where we found it we would be singing for the General Apostle who would come for the devotional on Christmas Day. It was rather exciting to be able to be a part of this. I wouldn't have joined up for choir had Sister Bane, Sister Garrett and Sister Robertson not done. I love music, I'm just not a singer in any form! So I went along simply to enjoy it. 

We learnt a song I had never heard before, called 'While Shepherds Lately Knelt'. It was a beautiful arrangement. The conductor gave us little facts about the song, and historical background along with it which helped us to put it into context and get the feel of the song. It was a really great experience and I'm glad the other sisters dragged me along! This was honestly one of the highlights of my MTC experience. Music always has such strength to it, and ALWAYS invites the spirit. It is one thing I've always found, while others feel the spirit more strongly in settings such as testimony meeting, to me it is in the peace, melody and words of the hymns and musical items.

Here it is if you have never heard it before!







So the classes started, hours of them. They were mostly interesting, but there is only so long one can sit and pay attention! I remember feeling so glad that my companion was sick simply because it meant we wouldn't have to go sit in the class. We even got to leave the MTC grounds to travel to the clinic! Freedom!! Turns out she just had a bad cold...and we were soon returned and gates came crashing down behind us. 


One of the best lessons I remember having was about studying The Book of Mormon. Something I was never really any good at before. I used to love reading from it when I was younger, at camp I'd always make the most of the quiet times and reading from the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. As I got older this habit sadly dwindled. I am glad to say now I love it more then I ever could and couldn't imagine life without it. This class really helped me see how much we can continually gain knowledge from them, that everyone has a different view, as we all need to learn different things at different stages in our life. We had 45 minutes, and the instructions were to go round the class, reading one verse and stop whenever someone saw something that either showed God's hand or something stood out to them they were to share it with the rest of us. In the 45 minutes we did this we ended up only reading 3 verses! 


Something they taught us really changed my view on studying the scriptures. We all have those verse which stand out to us, we saw something 'cool' in them, or it touched us in some way, we noticed something new etc, but without applying it to our own lives then it would have been for nothing. Without truly pondering why it stood out, what we can apply in our lives to do with that then why are we reading the scriptures? Just to learn the stories? Don't get me wrong, the stories are great, but without looking into our own hearts we will not improve, we will remain the same and completely miss these opportunities for growth. 


It made me really desire to consider and ponder on the things I read continually. It really highlighted the importance and purpose of the Book of Mormon to me, especially found in 1 Nephi 6:4-6;


'For the fulness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved. 
Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world.
Where, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men.'

Every thing written in this book is written for us, I find so much comfort found in that. It will help us overcome the challenges which we face, it will guide us in the way we need to go and it will most importantly help us grow closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ! As we focus on the doctrines found in the scriptures our lives will be filled with peace knowing that as we strive to follow the example of Christ we will help those around us. There is truly nothing in this gospel that is there to make us miserable, for every good thing cometh from Christ.

As I mentioned earlier on Christmas Day we had a devotional from one of the General Apostles of the Church. The build up to this devotional was rather entertaining, each MTC student taking guesses at who it would be. We wouldn't find out until they came into the meeting, it was extremely exciting! I was hoping it would be either Elder Holland or Elder Bednar! For those who don't know, we believe that our church has the same organisation that existed when Jesus Christ was on the earth, and so we have a living prophet - President Thomas S Monson, and also 12 apostles. They are called of God and lead and guide our church through revelation from God. They are His mouthpiece on the earth today. So getting to have a devotional from one of the 12 apostles is an extremely BIG thing! 


I was over the moon when we found it it was Elder Bednar! I absolutely love him! He always explains things in such a simple yet profound way. 

He was able to do a Q+A session with us. There were 200 phones handed out to us missionaries in the room to send a text with a question. Those viewing from other MTCs (it was broadcast) would be able to email questions to him, and they would all pop up on his i-pad! Pretty cool huh!


The first question he received was about feeling inadequate, and why do we still feel inadequate when we have been set apart? I loved his response! 

It's because you have a sense of what you have been called to do. If you don't feel inadequate you probably have a problem.  
He explained how he felt when he was first called as one of the Twelve Apostles, he felt extremely inadequate, but knew with the enabling power of the atonement he would be able to do all he was asked to accomplish. 

Another question was asked about repentance. I can't remember the exact question, it's in my other note book in Jersey, but I do remember part of his response that stuck with me. It really is so true, I hadn't viewed it this way before.


 'When taking the time to sin and repent; it is less time we could be becoming our full potential'

In his closing remarks he was discussing the importance of remembering who we were as missionaries, and to always remember who's work it was, and the true purpose behind it, as we followed the Saviours example in teaching we would be able to have the spirit with us. Another great quote that hit me one that I love so much. One that always comes to mind when I think of serving a mission now.


You are not called to a place, you are called as a full-time missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You are assigned to labour in a certain area.

It does not matter where we serve, as long as we serve with all our heart might, mind and strength to help forward his work. Having served in both England and Australia I can 100% agree with this. All that matters is that we are doing the Lord's work to the best of our ability. When I first set out in England I must admit, I did not want to serve there, but my heart was softened, I loved the people I was able to be amongst, equally as much as I love the people I served and met in Australia. It should not matter to us where we serve, only that we have the greatest opportunity in the world, to serve and bring people closer to Christ. 



I learnt a lot of things at the MTC, although it is still the only part of my mission I would not want to re-live. Looking back on my time there doesn't seem as bad as when I was there, sure there were things that I did not enjoy for example; not being able to call home on Christmas Day, my presents from family were in an unknown location and I felt like I was stuck in prison at the time (apart from the weekly Sunday walk around the Provo Temple). But there were a lot of things to celebrate! There was so much to gain in such a short time, friendships that will remain, and spiritual truths learnt. It wasn't so bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment